Old January 26th 08, 04:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Oyster PAYG and differential bus fares

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 16:23:38 +0000, asdf
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 15:35:34 GMT, Neil Williams wrote:

I think the easy way to make it work would be to, as I mentioned
elsewhere, charge the card with the maximum fare for that bus journey
and refund the difference on exit. Thus, anyone failing to touch out
would only disadvantage themselves, and anyone touching out before
alighting would just have to be caught by the same mechanism as anyone
who currently boards a bendy bus without touching in,

i.e. none at all?

Inspectors operate from time to time on the bendies, though admittedly
not often enough. That said, if TfL catch 1/20 of the people who fail
to touch in, they don't come out any worse off in a sense. (This is
one of the ways Penalty Fares work - you set them effectively at a
"market" level whereby if you catch the likely percentage of people
you won't lose overall).

Neil

--
Neil Williams