Old January 28th 08, 06:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default National Rail and Zones 7-9

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 14:34:58 +0000, Tom Anderson
wrote:

According to Quail, Apsley's 10 cars long; King's Langley is 10 on the
fasts, but 12 on the slows!

The fasts at Apsley and Kings Langley are only ever used during late
evening/weekend engineering works, when 8 cars might be necessary but
not 12.

Everywhere else has platforms suitable for 12
cars on the slows, apart from stations that don't matter, like Wembley
Central (7 cars) and Queen's Park (8 cars). Apsley would surely be a
doddle to extend, although obviously this rules out doing this right now.

I wonder why it wasn't extended when all the others were?

Also, Quail says Bletchley has a 9-car platform on the down slow too.

It does on the up slow and on the "down depot" (platform 5), because
there is a crossover at both ends. It's possible that if Bletchley
depot and sidings close completely in the future (as I believe is
intended) it could be extended at the north end as the crossover will
cease to be necessary. The down slow (platform 3) is 12-car.

Neil

--
Neil Williams