Old January 28th 08, 07:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default iBus. The most annoying thing about bus travel...

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 09:13:39 -0000, "solar penguin"
wrote:

Dusty Shelves wrote:

Well, apart from traffic levels & overcrowding of course. I have to
suffer this damn incessant voice almost every day...

If you don't want to hear it, then concentrate on something else and let
your brain filter the sound out, just like with any other unwanted
announcements.

Precisely. I use the 123 every day and it was one of the first routes to
get the system. While we've had all the teething problems and various
different forms of messages and timing of them I find no issue with the
system at all.

I can ignore if I want to and pay attention if I wish to. I don't find
it any more intrusive that the auto messages on tube trains.

Why?

Because it's good idea that should've been introduced ages ago. The
real question is why did they wait so long before introducing it.

Precisely. I'm also looking forward to the expansion of countdown style
displays at stops plus the ability (hopefully) to get real time stop
departure info texted to your mobile phone. With a lot of effort you
can just about use Transport Direct to get the timetable information per
stop.

I hope there is some kind of backlash against it!

I hope there isn't. Why would there be?

It's interesting that the _only_ person the BBC could find to speak
against it was a Liberal Democrat MP. If this really was an unpopular
idea, you can bet Cameron's Cronies would be rushing to complain...

Apparently there were 12 complaints that sat behind that BBC
"exclusive". There's nothing wrong with the standard stop and route
announcements. I understand some people are fed up with other
pre-recorded messages being played constantly - I've never had that on a
Tottenham garage route. The few times the "special" messages have been
deployed they were all genuinely helpful or appropriate.

--
Paul C