Old January 28th 08, 08:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Weaver Paul Weaver is offline

Default Brent Cross Light Rail

On Jan 28, 3:18 pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 28 Jan, 14:41, Tom Anderson wrote:

It seems entirely possible that the plan is a non-starter, but i think
it's fair enough to propose it in the hope that a better-resourced
interested party, like the council, might take a harder look at it.

Yes, maybe I was a bit harsh on it, but I wouldn't have been if it was
presented in these terms. If it'd been "we think the development
should include light rail, and here's an idea for a possible route",
that'd be one thing, but they presented it as "this particular route
must be built", and once you do that, you've got to back it up with
numbers, otherwise it's just fantasy.

Particularly the 'phase 1' bit that links the Northern line station to the
Thameslink station at Brent Cross, which isn't that grandiose (although,
as was pointed out, does involve a rather high ratio of depot to track).

Airport style people movers might be the answer.

Be interesting to see how ULTRA goes at Terminal 5, There are small
areas like Brent Cross that could benefit from a lightweight system
like that (Euston, Kings Cross, St Pancras -- Thameslink end, or
Lancaster Gate/Paddington/Marylebone/Baker Street/Marble Arch, or
something involving City Thameslink, Bank and Charing Cross)