Old January 28th 08, 09:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

Default iBus. The most annoying thing about bus travel...

"Paul G" wrote in message

I was on the 298 route on Saturday evening and I thought it was very good
(although I note other people's comments on how it could be improved).
The best part was, as the bus approached Southgate Station, the
control/depot phoned in and asked the driver where he was. I can't
remember what the driver answered, but the control/depot pointed out he
was running early and the driver apologised and said he would pull up at
the next stop until he was on time. The half hourly bus had managed to
become over 10 minutes early in fact (the roads just aren't as busy at
night as during the daytime).

The only way that I can think that control bothered phoning in is that
they must have installed some automated flagging system for when buses are
running seriously early and connected it to iBus. Fantastic!

AFAIK, it is not connected to iBus.

It is possible along any bus route to see small grey boxes atop a post,
which sometimes have a bright yellow sticker attached to them. Every time a
bus passes one of those posts, it sends a signature signal to the control
centre, which in turn allows the control centre to know busses' locations at
all times. I also undertsand that there is a large screen in the command
centre that can see busses' movements.

This is what I've heard and I am well aware that I could be wrong, so feel
free to correct me.