Old November 13th 03, 12:31 AM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
JNugent JNugent is offline

Default Network Rail

Robin May wrote...

"JNugent" wrote:

How about answering in respect of British Gas, the electricity
generating industry and RJB Mining (ne้ The National Coal Board)?

Why should I? I was talking about public transport.

I am not at all sure that you restricted your comments to public transport.

In fact, I'm sure you didn't.

Your original proposition was that privatisation didn't stem the
losses.

No. My proposition was that in inherently loss making industries like
public transport, privatisation doesn't make sense.

But public transport is NOT an " inherently loss making" industry, is it?

If you don't believe me, ask British Airways.

Or any of the many private companies that operate bus services.

Or any taxi operator.

I may not have been
explicit about the inherently loss making part or the public transport
part, but given the context (a thread about network rail, posted to
uk.transport and uk.transport.london) it's pretty clearly implied.

This thread has veered in all directions. It is no longer safe to assume it
is dealing with railways.

I have given you three examples where that is clearly
untrue, haven't I?

No.

You dispute the fact that the gas, electricity and coal industries were
loss-makers when in government hands but profitable in private hands?