Old February 5th 08, 01:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Old trackbed next to central line

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, John Rowland wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:

That'd be a good pub quiz question - "what links Cricklewood and
Kempton Park?". Answer: "thirteen and a half miles of pipe"!

I have raised this issue before, presumably before your time here.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....7d17e9460caab3

Curses! Yes, i think that was before my time. I only moved to London in
about 2003.

10/10 for getting it to the pumping station in Kempton Park... I was
only able to follow it to Hounslow Heath, but this was using the London
Photographic Atlas, since Google Earth and free satellite photography on
the web did not yet exist. It's funny to think how primitive things were
for us land use enthusiasts only 7 years ago.

Yes, and all that gravel you had to eat for breakfast!

Interesting that you identify this is as the province of land use loonies;
i was following the route in my capacity as an underground structure
loony.

The other end of the pipe is not Cricklewood: it can easily be followed to
Fortis Green Pumping Station in Woodside Avenue N10.
http://maps.google.com/maps?t=k&ie=U...9978&z=17&om=0

Perhaps arguable; i think that's a different pipe which also connects to
Cricklewood. Although that's really a matter of semantics.

We should do a map of all underground features in London that are
identifiable from the air. In fact, of all hidden structures that are
visible from the air all over the UK - i'm also a fan of finding disused
WW2 airfields that way.

tom

--
Mathematics is the door and the key to the sciences. -- Roger Bacon