Old November 13th 03, 06:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mait001 Mait001 is offline

Default The UK march agaimst Bush

Basically, I think we're looking at an anti-war movement that happens to
include some anti-capitalists rather than the mob of anarchists you
describe. (I don't even think all the anti-capitalists are of the same ilk -
a lot of them will be for fair (rather than free) trade, and not the
complete breakdown of global capitalisation and the rule of law.)

I'm not quite sure what "war" they are against actually. If they simply want
American and British (and the poor Italians) to leave Iraq immediately, I
wouldn't actually be against that: the life of one British soldier is worth
more to me than all the Iraquis they are actually helping. If they are not
welcome, bring them home - I am content that the htreat posed by Saddam is
gone. It will be a long time before Iraq is a threat to World security again.

But I don't actually think they do want the soldiers to come home - I doubt if
they give 2 figs about British, American or Italian soldiers. They are just
using this as an excuse to vaunt their hatred of Bush, America and whatever
else they dislike.

Protest is a part of a healthy democracy.

I do not agree with ANY protest that disrupts the lives of ordinary people
going about their lawful business.

but I'd much rather have seen the
President take the hint and cancel the visit

Actually, it was an idiotic decision of Blair to advise The Queen to invite
Bush on this State Visit at this time. It would be discourteous (and an
unwarranted victory for the people about whom I have been writing) for Bush to
cancel the visit now, but I agree that the invitation should not have been
given at this particular juncture.

There's a quote about
"all that is required for evil to triumph" that seems aposite here, but I
can't remember for the life of me who said it.

I know the quote, can't remember who said it, but have used it myself on
several occasions, to justify the war in Iraq!

Marc.