Old February 10th 08, 12:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Fast Uxbridge Mets

On 10 Feb, 11:06, Bill Hayles wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 09:00:04 -0000, Fig wrote:
Train 423 departs UXB 1731 runs fast through Wobbly park 1755 arrives at
Aldgate at 1828 if you're lucky.

That's the fella! Thank you.
I take it that that's the only one in the timetable then? Shame. I'm
surprised I've never stumbled upon it before in all my years of commuting
out of Uxbridge, then twice in a week!

There used to be plenty of peak hour Uxbridge trains fast from Finchley
Road to Rayners Lane in 16 minutes.

Similarly Amershams fast from Finchley Road to Moor Park. (and Watfords
fast from Finchley Road to North Harrow)

This was when the "A" stock was, like me, in its prime, and capable of
doing 60mph+ on the non stop sections.

The 1145 Saturday Liverpool Street to Amersham was a favourite -
Finchley Road dep. 1206, next stop Moor Park arr. 1226

--
Bill Hayles

Interesting stuff. Harrow on the Hill would seem to be regarded as a
more important hub nowadays - perhaps this shows the growing
importance of local traffic, rather than just whooshing people into
and out of central London. Then again, perhaps it just makes life
simpler for passengers - and as you say A-stock ain't as fast as it
used to be so maybe the current service pattern is also influenced by
what is operationally convenient.

Nonetheless I'm surprised to see that there were Watford fasts with
the first stop at North Harrow, missing a stop at Harrow on the Hill.

I'm not a Metroland man myself, and so I needed to remind myself of
the current Met service pattern - there isn't any obvious place to
look on the TfL website for this, so I used the site's search facility
(using the term "Metropolitan line") and found the line diagram was
the third in the results list, though it is far from obvious that it
is actually a map (the result was merely labelled as a PDF named
"Metropolitan line"):
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/metropolitan.pdf

Perhaps this line diagram should be made easier to find and be
included on the main TfL maps page.