Old February 10th 08, 03:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Stop Markers on LU

On Feb 10, 4:22*pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 10 Feb, 15:26, MIG wrote:

In many outside sections, the platforms happen to be longer than the
trains anyway, and markers are needed so that they stay at the
entrance end. *

I think all of the lines mentioned rely on platform-mounted monitors
and mirrors for checking the doors (save Overground, which has
guards), and the train also needs to be lined up with the Correct Side
Door Enable transmitter, so the driver doesn't have a lot of choice in
where they stop.

True, although the markers go back much further. I can't remember
that sort of detail before the 1970s unfortunately, but the sleeper
markers were well established then. I wonder if someone has early
pictures?