Old February 11th 08, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default London -Stonehenge

In message
,
Mizter T writes
Perhaps quite unjustifiably, I have this notion that many tourists
wouldn't be keen on venturing out to do this.

And as far as mass tourism from overseas (and indeed the UK) you'd be
quite right about this.

I am sometimes saddened by people's lack of enthusiasm for seeing things
such as landscapes "on the way somewhere". It's like people have a
"tick list" of Places (deliberate capital letter there) they have to see
and the landscape en route is a pain in the backside because it means we
can't Be There immediately.

But a day's trip for a walk the Chilterns, the North Downs or even the
White Cliffs are all very doable.

I've seen a visit to see the White Cliffs included as part of a day trip
from London to Canterbury & Leeds Castle (yes, really). The others
wouldn't even be known to most visitors.

(That said, I've taken people from the Midlands and the North of England
to London and *they've* never heard of the Chilterns.......)

--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk