Old February 11th 08, 03:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default London -Stonehenge

In message , at 12:17:49 on Mon,
11 Feb 2008, Ian Jelf remarked:

Although Stonehenge is often described as "disappointing",

It is *much* smaller than most people imagine. Although that's partly
because you can't get very close to it any more (I can remember when you
could wander round inside).

there is a reason it is so famous.

It is very old. When tourists come from a *State* that's only got 100
years of history, something that old is almost literally unimaginable.

It is, as far as I am aware, absolutely unique among the stone
circles of Western Europe for having the lintels across many of the
stone uprights. This represents the absolute pinnacle of what
Neolithic to Bronze ages peoples achieved.

Very few people seem to go to Stonehenge to wonder over the
architecture. They would be better off going to Avebury, I think.

Furthermore, the story of the circle through three major phases and
innumerable "sub-=phases" is a fascinating one.

And one that is entirely over the head of 99.9% of the visitors I'm
afraid.

In short it deserves to be seen.

However, visits usually involve an element of "disappointment because:

* The site is spoiled by its proximity to two busy roads.

And maybe I've been unlucky, but I never seem to go there other than
when it's blowing a gale and everyone is freezing to death.