Old November 14th 03, 03:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jonn Elledge Jonn Elledge is offline

Default The UK march agaimst Bush

"Mait001" wrote in message
A few thousand, or even 100,000, or even a million demonstrators is by no
stretch of the imagination "the mass of the British people".

If everyone who opposed the war turned up in london to protest, what
you'd essentially have is an uprising. I believe the polls currently
stand at a majority opposed. Not quite the isolated group of lefties
you like to portray the oppsers of war as. For feelings to run this
strong despite what the government and some media outlets would like
is pretty indicative of deeply held convictions, IMO.

We'll just have to disagree on that: just because a few opinion polls

suggest a
majority of those interviewed "oppose the war" - which I do not believe to

be
the case anyway (what are the statistics and polls to which you refer?)

There are some at the bottom of this article in the Philadelphia Inquirer:

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/n...on/7248104.htm

And, don't believe everything the pro-Saddam (the prime culprit being the
B.B.C.) media tells you.

Please don't reduce the level of argument to "everyone who opposes the war
is pro-Saddam". It's reductive, it's inaccurate, and you can (and have) come
up with better arguments.

An impertinence? Thank god for those "impertinent" people who have the
temerity to speak out for what they believe is right. I suppose Rosa
Parks, the suffragettes, etc were also impertinent?

I do not distinguish what the cause is: I take grave exception to the

European
Union and wish it (as a concept) nothing but harm and distress, but I

would not
even take these deeply-held beliefs to such an extent that I would impose
inconvenience on Londoners by disrupting their activities just to show my
strength of feeling.

That's your democratic right to feel that way. Others choose to exercise
their rights in different ways, such as through peaceful* protest. I'm sorry
that you feel inconvenienced, but as I've stated before I'd rather live in a
society that allowed such shows of popular feeling than one that repressed
them - such as Saddam's Iraq...

Jonn

*I am aware of how ridiculous I'm going to look if troublemakers at the
protest attempt to firebomb Bush or something...