Old February 12th 08, 08:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default WHy is the central line so much faster?

On Feb 11, 10:10*pm, "Jack Taylor" wrote:
Boltar wrote:
Had to go to a meeting at Hangar lane today. After white city the
train just took off, we must've been doing 40-50 mph. How come the
other tube lines are so slow in comparison? The piccadilly plods its
way to acton town and the northern line between east finchley and
finchley central seemed to barely get above 25mph the few times I did
it last year. Why is the central line different?

The Met main line, late at night, is hardly known for its sluggishness. I've
been on post-midnight trains, many times, and been hanging on for dear life
to anything that was fixed, especially between Finchley Road and Moor Park!

The Central Line used to seem to really move at the other far end,
mainly heading south (west if someone insists) from Theydon Bois to
Debden and also between Epping and North Weald.

Then again, 1962 stock was so bouncy even at low speeds that maybe it
just seemed fast. Don't often go that way these days.