Old February 12th 08, 11:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner Recliner is offline

Default WHy is the central line so much faster?

"MIG" wrote in message

On Feb 12, 10:50 am, "Recliner" wrote:
"Boltar" wrote in message

Had to go to a meeting at Hangar lane today. After white city the
train just took off, we must've been doing 40-50 mph. How come the
other tube lines are so slow in comparison? The piccadilly plods its
way to acton town and the northern line between east finchley and
finchley central seemed to barely get above 25mph the few times I
did it last year. Why is the central line different?

I'm guessing that the 1992 stock has the highest power to weight
ratio
of all LU trains. It's also the only stock to have every axle
motored.
Do any other British trains (including main line) have this?

I think it may have been the case with the old District Line R stock.
That always seemed to out-accelerate the 1962 stock at Mile End (but
maybe only from 0 - 5 mph).

Yes, I think the R Stock did have all axles powered, though I suspect
that the power to weight ratio of a train from 60 years ago would have
been less.