Old February 12th 08, 02:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default London -Stonehenge

In message , at 15:16:22 on Tue,
12 Feb 2008, Ian Jelf remarked:
I'm afraid I find it's all a bit "why did they build Windsor Castle so
close to the Heathrow flightpath".

For the record that really *does* happen.

I'm sure it does. You have to get into the mindset, where an American
airport was usually built on the edge of town, and the built-up area
encroached around it. A bit like Kings Cross, Euston and so on being
built on what was, at the time, the edge of London.

So people seem to think "oh, it's all fallen down", rather than "gosh
how wonderful it must have been when intact". As with the Parthenon in
Athens, photographs usually give a misleading impression of how much
is still intact, so when you visit, it's a disappointment.

A slight variant on this was a lady who gave me a *lot* of grief about
Stonehenge a few years ago because when she came before "it was on the
ocean". Never worked that one out,

Maybe confusing it with a visit to some Scottish megaliths?