Old February 13th 08, 05:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Harrow Bus Station bottleneck

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 07:06:11 -0800 (PST), Romanise
wrote:

On Feb 11, 9:08 pm, Andy wrote:

We are never going to agree on the basics, so I'll leave discussion
about individual problems / solutions to what I have already said.
I'll just say if you want to see real bus congestion take a look at
the area around Tottenham Court Road underground station and under
Center Point. This puts any perceived problems at Harrow Bus station
into context.

[snip]
I have had to use Buses from Tottenham Court Road underground station
for going on to Tottenham Court Road.

There it is the Car traffic from all 4 sides crossing each other.

No it is not. Car traffic can only come from Charing Cross Road heading
north. Tottenham Court Road is one way so no traffic can come from that
direction. Oxford St and New Oxford Street are both bus and taxi only.

In
Harrow there are only 2 sides and still Buses have difficulty entering
the bus station and letting out its passengers.

You can keep going on and on and on about Harrow but there is NO way
that TfL would scrap the current bus station and put in place something
that split bus services in two and forced people to make a lengthy and
utterly unnecessary walk between two sides of the tube station. There
would be no business case for such a proposal because of the extra time
taken for buses to use the alternative routes and from worsening
passenger interchange. It would also make interchange from the tube to
buses unduly complicated. TfL's overarching objective is to "save time"
- your idea flies completely in the face of this.

Harrow Council is interested in having practically new Tube Station
Overhead Entry Exit overbridge getting built but for that money is not
coming from TFL for another 10 years.

If Harrow are interested then perhaps they'd like to find the money. Oh
dear - is that the sound of an empty piggy bank I hear?

I hope to be around in 2013. Let us see if it happens by then.

Why is no one interested in easing the situation with practically
nothing to spend.

You seem to be convinced there is a problem when I suspect most people
are perfectly content with the current situation. Your proposal would
cost time and money for no demonstrable benefit. I know you will wish
to carry on arguing your point so why not write to TfL and see what
response you get?

--
Paul C