Old February 16th 08, 05:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Oyster Fare and routing query

wrote:
On 16 Feb, 14:13, "Paul Scott" wrote:

That isn't how PAYG works though. Touching out and back in within an
unspecified 'short time' (which I reckon is about 15 mins) continues
the original journey.

Paul S

Thanks Paul. So imagine this scenario. I have £1.00 on my Oyster and I
want to go from Ruislip to Hackney Central on Saturday night.The TFL
fare finder says the fare is £1.00. I touch in at Ruislip and touch
out at Finchley Rd. The fare for that stretch would also be £1.00 so
in effect is there nothing on my card now ?

I'll leave it to someone else to confirm what happens around £0.00!, but I
don't think your theoretical £1.00 card would work that way. At your first
touch in, £4.00 (the max LU cash fare) is deducted, and when you touch out
after your £1.00 journey, £3.00 is added back, leaving £0. In that case I
wonder if you'd get through a further barrier?

Don't know what happens if you take your balance negative by travelling
further than your £1.00 journey though, I've never taken the balance that
low on mine...

Paul S