Old February 17th 08, 09:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
lonelytraveller lonelytraveller is offline

Default Victorian Tiling at Embankment

On 16 Feb, 15:47, MIG wrote:
On Feb 16, 12:30 pm, lonelytraveller

wrote:
On 16 Feb, 12:23, "tim \(not at home\)"
wrote:

"lonelytraveller" wrote in

At embankment station, there's a room behind/under the down escalator
leading to the northbound northern line platform .There's victorian
tiling on the right hand wall as you look in from the foot of the
escalator; why?

Surely there's Victorian tiling in all (most) underground stations,
undernath all of the modern **** that stuck on top

tim

But the Victorians didn't have escalators, so why would there have
been a passageway in that particular location? Its parallel and next
to the passage between the bakerloo line and the northbound northern
line platforms, so it doesn't seem to be purposeful.

I'm not quite picturing all this. There would be nothing at Bakerloo/
Northern level till about 1906 or so would there?

Do you mean that there was a deep passageway predating those lines?

No. It would have appeared with the Northern line there. From a
distance it looks like the tiling is similar to the bakerloo line
station at Edgeware road - those decorative green tiles about mid way
up the walls - it would look glorious if it was cleaned up and on
show.

But it definitely looks older than the escalator. Anyway, I'm fairly
certain the escalator isn't original, on account of the very awkward
access to the clearly old spiral staircase adjacent to it at the top
landing.