Old February 17th 08, 10:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Victorian Tiling at Embankment

In article
,
(MIG) wrote:

On Feb 17, 10:41*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote in message

.co.uk...

In article

,
(lonelytraveller)

wrote:

At embankment station, there's a room behind/under the down
escalator leading to the northbound northern line platform.
There's victorian tiling on the right hand wall as you look in
from the foot of the escalator; why?

Given that the Northern Line opened in 1907, I doubt it's actually
Victorian. Edwardian I might believe.

Built using a stockpile of Victorian tiles? Perhaps they bought a job

lot cheap after Victoria's death... *But seriously, how quickly do
architectural styles/materials change?

The Bakerloo would have opened first, and would have been abortively
built several years earlier, although I doubt if any tiling would have
been finished off.

The Bakerloo opened in 1906.

--
Colin Rosenstiel