Old February 18th 08, 05:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Travel Card vs. Oyster Card

John L. wrote:

I'm taking my family to london this summer and was trying to determine which
card was better - Travel Card or Oyster Card. We'll be traveling within
Zones 1 & 2 mainly.

Thanks for the help!

As other replies have suggested, it really does depend on a number of
factors. However if you could provide us with some more information
then we could provide some more focused answers.

(1) How many days will you be in London for?

(2) Will you just be travelling on the Underground and the buses, or
will you also be using National Rail (i.e. mainline rail) services?

(3) When during the day will you be travelling - specifically will you
be travelling before 9.30am on weekdays at all?

(3) Are you planning on going out of zones 1 & 2 much - and if so will
you be travelling by Underground, bus or National Rail?

(5) How are you arriving in London - specifically are you coming in
from Heathrow airport, and if so how?

(6) How likely is it that you or your family will be coming back to
London / how often do you visit London?

(7) Are you brining (your) children along, and if so how old are they?

To get an idea of the zonal system, take a look at the Tube map here
(which only shows the Underground, DLR and a few mainline aka
Overground routes):
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-Tube-map.gif

If you want a comprehensive map - including zones - of all rail
services in London including National Rail (i.e. mainline) routes see
this map (PDF):
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system...onnections.pdf