Old February 18th 08, 06:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Councils block in illegit driveways

On 18 Feb, 19:17, TimB wrote:
On Feb 18, 7:08 pm, Mizter T wrote:

Interesting - I thought the problem du jour was that asphalting your
front garden to park the car was causing much faster run-off of heavy
rain, contributing to increased flooding - and that therefore councils
were thinking of requiring planning permission. This business of
providing access is news to me.
Tim

That's a separate, albeit connected issue. Take a look at the access
to driveways across pavements - so called "dropped kerbs" - they will
generally have a lowered curb to match the level of the road and a
purpose built non-paved (concrete or asphalt) surface across the
pavement, so that cars don't have to mount the curb and then drive
over paving stones, breaking them as they go.

However you will see some that don't have this - these are the
illegitimate ones, and in such instances people often just use a big
length of chunky timber shoved in the crevice of the kerb so as to
allow vehicles to mount the kerb more easily. If the pavement is made
from paving stones then they'll often be cracked and uneven - if
however it is an asphalt surface then it obviously won't be thus
damaged. I don't know the details but it may well be the case that
asphalt pavements can get damaged by prolonged abuse in this manner.