Old February 19th 08, 10:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Travel Card vs. Oyster Card

On 19 Feb, 11:03, "Ian F." wrote:
"Jarle H Knudsen" wrote in messagenews:137zpin9e3jsz.13134vklzudbc$.dlg@40tud e.net...

How does he get through the gates?

Accompanied by an adult, via the manned luggage gate, one would assume.

Ian

That's absolutely correct. On the Underground and DLR they need to be
accompanied by an adult to be let through the gates. If they are not
accompanied then they need a 5-10 Oyster photocard - application forms
for this are available from Post Offices in Greater London, and
applications must them be made in person at said Post Offices, along
with supporting documentation. I don't think you actually have to
present the relevant child at the Post Office though!

On buses and trams 5-10 year olds don't need any kind of ticket
whether accompanied or not. At Wimbledon this simply means they are
let through the gate to get to and from the Tramlink platform.

Any children aged 5-10 will still need tickets for travel on National
Rail services, as does any child aged 5-16. However off-peak Day
Travelcards for children for zones 1-6 cost just GBP 2.00 (GBP 2.60
for zones 1-9, GBP 2.40 for zones 2-9), *and* up to four children
travelling with an adult who has any kind of valid Travelcard can get
child Travelcards for just GBP 1.00 (I presume that currently National
Rail would issue these for zones 1-6, whilst TfL would issue them for
zones 1-9, but I am not certain of that).