Old February 19th 08, 08:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Travel Card vs. Oyster Card

On Feb 19, 8:36*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 04:49:14 -0800 (PST), MIG

wrote:
A question that springs to mind: if your balance/travelcard expiry
could be ascertained from quoting the ID of the card (perhaps
unregistered), did you have to get a new Oyster and register it and
make a journey via a specified station before you could be reimbursed/
valid again?

It occurs to me that there are issues with transferring balances
between different cards, particularly if you can't prove that you are
the same person. *Can't get my head round what they all are for the
minute ...

I can't see what the issues would be. *I don't believe anyone has an
entitlement to access details from the Oyster central system / help desk
relating to the balance or validity of a card if it is unregistered.

Sure the holder of a card can check it at a ticket machine but why would
this be given out over the phone?

I'm assuming that the card is broken and so you can't read it at a
machine, so the only way to find the balance on it would be to check
the computer by (someone) visually reading the ID off the card.

I think you'd have to do it face to face with both cards, but can a
ticket office authorise it? If you phoned up and quoted the ID of a
supposedly broken card (hoping it would turn out to be unregistered)
and asked for the balance to be transferred to a different card, there
could be a laborious scam in there somewhere.

I don't see any issue with a transfer from a registered card to another
registered one. This must be possible to deal with the hotlisting of
stolen cards and issue of replacements / processing of refunds.

I'm not up to speed with all of the detailed procedures but the lack of
registration of a card does result in some facilities like card
hotlisting not being possible.
--
Paul C