Old February 19th 08, 11:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default How to terminate a North-South HSL in London?

On 19 Feb, 23:41, "Peter Masson" wrote:
"Adrian" wrote

The stations on the northern half of the circle may have made sense in
the 1860s. They are inconvenient today. And, said side of the Circle
misses interchange possibilities at almost every opportunity. The
biggest omission IMHO is not having a station in front of Euston. It
would be an expensive mistake to rectify.

IIRC the entrance to Euston Square Circle Line station is at the west end of
the platforms, and is near enough to Warren Street LUL station as to be
considered an interchange. As the Circle Line runs under the Euston Road,
and the buffer stops at Euston are a good way short of Euston Road, a
perfect interchange would be unduly expensive. However, a much better
interchange would be achieved if the entrance to Euston Square station was
moved to the east end of the platforms (or a subsidiary entrance provided
there). Incidentally, Euston Square station was originally named, more
appropriately, Gower Street. It was only renamed in 1909 as a late reaction
to the opening of tube stations at Euston on both the Hampstead Tube and the
City & South London Railway (now the Charing Cross and Bank branches of the
Northern Line).

Peter.

Thanks for the history Peter.

Wikipedia led me to this entry on alwaystouchout about Network Rail's
plans o totally redevelop Euston, which would include a direct subway
link to the Euston Square platforms:
http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/125

It vaguely rings a bell but that's all, I can't say I've heard
anything about these plans recently. There's a link to a relevant page
on the website of construction economists Franklin + Andrews. One gets
the impression that this is all very much at the early stages of
exploration.

However looking the other way to Warren Street did make me think of a
possible lost opportunity here. The major new University College
Hospital (UCH) building on the Euston Road opened in 2005 after
several years of construction - I'm wondering whether it might have
been possible to carve out a bit of the basement so as to provide a
subway from Euston Square all the way to Warren Street station.
Without major rebuilding at Euston Square it wouldn't have been
possible to keep this subway within the fare-paid zone (i.e.
interchanging passengers would have to pass out and then back in
through gates), and to be honest I can't quite recall whether the
subterranean layout at Warren Street would be remotely conducive to
such an endeavour.

Plus there's the question of what other below surface obstructions
there might be, along with the quite understandable reluctance of the
hospital to give up space in their basement for this to happen, along
with many other questions as to whether this would have been remotely
feasible.

And of course it ignores the rather crucial fact that the new UCH
building has already been built!