Old February 20th 08, 10:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Eric Eric is offline

Default Councils block in illegit driveways

On 2008-02-20, Adrian wrote:
Boltar (Boltar ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

If to do so would cause an obstruction, yes. Absolutely. You think
that's a bad thing?

No , but in that case they should be allowed to park in their gardens if
they want, dropped kerb or not.

Why?

Who's saying that people can't park in their drives? Nobody. This isn't
about whether people can park in their drives or not - but whether they
can park in their front gardens which they'd like to call drives but
haven't actually got vehicular access to.

If its their property they can call it and do with it what they like ,
its none of the councils business so long as they don't cause a public
nuisance or break planning laws.

Which they are.

Hiho. Don't like it, don't live in a city. That simple. Or do you think

Some village streets are even narrower.

Indeed they are. But without the volume of traffic and the residential
density. Oh, and without the "I live here, I park here" attitude.

I don't think so - when I lived in a village there were people with that
attitude - they suggested that I should park outside my own house, until
I pointed out that it was on a corner and that parking there would block
one or both routes through the village. I was also yelled at to the
general effect of "I live here, how dare you park opposite!".