Old February 20th 08, 03:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
J. Chisholm J. Chisholm is offline

Default Councils block in illegit driveways

IanB wrote:

I was completely sickened by the interview with the councillor
concerned. Her excuse for impounding people's cars was health and
safety - "people expect cars to drive up ramps but not across
pavements" - whereas actually they are doing it to boost revenue.

There is a real Elf & Safety Issue. Look at how much local councils have
to pay out each year after being sued for Trip and Slips caused by
uneven or rocking slabs.
Where I live no person is (yet) heavy enough to break a paving slab
under their own weight, yet I see broken slabs everywhere caused by
motor vehicles driven on or across footways.

The
bollards have been built cheaply and look a mess, plus they are an
obstruction for partially sighted and disabled people.

Why did the council choose to ereect bollards when the cars were on
the drive? Why not simply knock on the door or provide 24 hours
warning? The only answer can be shear nastiness. Personally I would
prefer to see cars parked off road than on road. I hold no remit for
car drivers, and I am strongly in favour of parking enforcement,
clamping, the lot.

The original source suggested that all these people had been repeatedly
warned that they needed to have a properly constructed footway crossing
complete with dropped kerb.
Where I used to live some idiot insisted on parking his (almost)HGV on
the footway. Apart from the damage and difficulty in getting past with
prams/pushchair etc, the water main beneath the path eventually failed.
Now if only it were worth suing such idiots.

Jim Chisholm