Old November 15th 03, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mait001 Mait001 is offline

Default The UK march agaimst Bush

We'll just have to disagree on that: just because a few opinion polls
suggest a majority of those interviewed "oppose the war" - which I do
not believe to be the case anyway (what are the statistics and polls
to which you refer?) does not mean that they all feel so strongly
about it that they wish to disrupt the lives of ordinary people trying
to go about their normal business in London.

Here you go again, "ordinary people" are also protesters. Unless you
"ordinary people" means people like yourself.

By "ordinary people", I simply mean the tens of millions who would never go on
ANY demonstration and are, in any event, too busy earning a living to spend a
day in slow-walking down Central London streets or listen to the likes of Benn,
Galloway, Livingstone and fellow-travellers venting their anti-American
diatribes.

However lets look at your logic

You start by condeming the demonstrators for inconveniencing your life.

You then doubt the majority "oppose the war", stating that if they did
they would they should show this by coming to London to do exactly what
you condem in the first place.

So, I oppose the war, are you saying I should come to London and
demonstrate? What if I don't? Does that mean I do not "oppose the war"?

You seem to have some difficulty in understanding a simple point. Let me try
again. I do not accept that the majority of the population opposes or opposed
the war. But even if a majority did oppose the war, I do not believe that that
majority would take to the streets. I am not suggesting that they SHOULD
demonstrate, just suggesting that most people do not feel so strongly about
this (or other) issue that they are willing to demonstrate.

By your logic you do not oppose the EU because you do not oppose
according to arbitary criteria.

Again, I don't see why it is difficult to understand what I wrote, but let me
try again: I oppose the E.U. but do not believe in demonstrating, so do not.
Instead, my opposition takes other forms, such as the way I vote,
letter-writing, contributing to discussion and debate and so forth.

Marc.