Old November 15th 03, 11:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Robin May Robin May is offline

Default The UK march agaimst Bush

(Mait001) wrote the following in:

Well that opinion ought (a) to be expressed in a way that does
not cause massive inconvenience to others and (b) not to the
guest but to those who invited him.

For (a), what way is this that you're suggesting? How should they
express their opinion?

For (b), what nonsense. They disagree with Bush and yet you're
suggesting they shouldn't attempt to express their opinion to Bush
but instead to Blair. I suppose next time I disagree with you I
should express this disagreement to the manufacturer of your
computer.

(a) Hire the Albert Hall or some other venue and shou, rant,
community singing, burn effigies or whatever, but don't do it so
that Central London is put into gridlock.

And this is going to get the attention of anyone?

(b) Whether you like it or not, Bush is a GUEST in this Country at
the invitation of Blair. Call me old-fashioned, but it just
rankles with me that someone invited to this Country should not be
the subject of the sort of attacks that seem to be being prepared
for Bush.

The demonstrators clearly didn't invite him here and didn't want him
here, so why they should care that Bush is a "GUEST" (any different
from "guest"?) is beyond me. If I invite Pinochet round to my house
does that mean that people who so desire should protest to me about him
getting away with murder? Or should they do the sensible thing and
protest about him?

I don't particularly like the huge number of asylum seekers who
are in this
Country, but they are here whether I like it or not, and for me to
be beastly towards them whenever I see them would serve no purpose
whatsoever.

But some random asylum seeker is a person who hasn't done anything to
offend you beyond existing. It's not analogous to the mere presence of
asylum seekers, because it's not the presence of Bush that they're
protesting about. It's the things that Bush has done and may yet do.
It'd be like expressing your disagreement and dislike of an asylum
seeker who regularly kicked dogs if you were opposed to the kicking of
dogs.

--
message by Robin May, but you can call me Mr Smith.
Hello. I'm one of those "roaring fascists of the left wing".

Then and than are different words!