Old February 22nd 08, 09:37 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Row over platform width delays Sandhills station reopening.

On 22 Feb, 09:43, John B wrote:
On 22 Feb, 08:53, Mr Thant
wrote:

How wide is a platforms supposed to be? Well, how long is a piece of
string...

The guideline is 2.5m. But decoding the article, it looks like Network
Rail wanted to reopen the station before they'd finished all work, and
the 2m width we're talking about is to a temporary construction
hoarding, for which they were presumably hoping to get a waiver.

The idiots at TfL and Merseyrail really ought to be shot. Far better
to have a platform that's 2m wide than no station at all...

Hmm, I don't know about Sandhills station but I'm really not so sure
about that when it comes to Shepherd's Bush. It's on the West London
Line, which is regularly used by freight trains - a freight train
consisting of containers passing through a station at speed is
somewhat disconcerting, and this effect is exacerbated when some of
the container flats are occupied and others are empty as that can
create some quite strong wind dynamics (totally the wrong term to use
I know but YNWIM). Add in a platform full of people waiting for a
train and you can have a slightly hairy situation.

And when one is building a new station (especially one that will be
used heavily for interchange) then one should aim for better than just
adequate. I certainly don't know the full story of Shepherd's Bush
station, though Mr Thant's London Connections blog does a good job of
trying to work it all out, but I certainly am not in the business of
condemning TfL and/or LOROL out of hand for refusing to use the new
station on the basis of uninformed assumptions.