Old February 22nd 08, 07:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default oyster bus travel and price capping

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 17:03:32 -0800 (PST), Matthew Dickinson
wrote:

On 21 Feb, 23:11, "Paul Scott" wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote in message

On 21 Feb, 19:40, "Paul Scott" wrote:

"tim (not at home)" wrote:

"MIG" wrote in message
Because TfL wants daily capping to make day travelcards redundant.
Trouble is, all the rules are operating as if NR accepts PAYG, even
though that wished-for situation is years away.
I think you've misspelt, decades

Er.. January 2009 within the London Fare zonal area.

That's what TfL is hoping for, which doesn't mean it is going to
happen. Mr Thant, on his weblog entry that summarises the February TfL
board meeting, describes the roll out of Oyster PAYG as being
"pencilled in for next January"...
http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...board-papers-m...

Some of the TOCs might thus still be wielding their erasers.

Sure, I've seen all that [I've snipped it] - the previous poster's view was
that it will take decades, ie more than 20 years...

Well having read Roger Ford's March Informed Sources on ITSO
implementation (or lack thereof) for SWT I'll be astonished if we get
Oyster PAYG done for Jan 2009. Seems like the DfT haven't got a clue
what they've required of the TOCs and everyone is suddenly finding the
"detail" a bit complicated.

Given we move into the "no politically advantageous announcements" phase
of the Mayoral Elections soon then we won't hear anything until beyond
May. There may even be issues about whether some issues can be signed
off if they require Mayoral approval. If agreements are not finalised
before then for those companies still holding out then there isn't a
chance of the physical installation works being done by Jan 2009. This
is before you get to the point of whether cards can be procured, staff
trained, and all the ticket machines, existing gates and back off
systems modified to handle PAYG.

While I expect all the Mayoral candidates will say they want to see
Oyster PAYG rolled out on NR I still don't see what incentive there is
for the TOCs to play ball - particularly at the moment.

Some comments on the Oystercard rollout on London Overground at

http://www.londontravelwatch.org.uk/document/3136/get

And what a very interesting set of comments they are. Shows that real
life is even more complex than all the debates we had on here! Nice to
see though that Overground seems to be doing very well in its early days
with lots of money rolling in. That might be putting smiles of the faces
of people at LOROL if the concession terms are a tad favourable when it
comes to revenue levels.

--
Paul C