Old February 23rd 08, 08:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MarkVarley - MVP MarkVarley - MVP is offline

Default BTP seeking Tube photographer attacker

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 14:55:52 +0000, Ian Jelf
wrote this gibberish:

In message , Chris Tolley
writes
Jeremy Double wrote:

allan tracy wrote:
On Feb 21, 7:37 pm, somersetchris wrote:
Guy at Waterloo attacked for taking pictures

There's a photograph of the attacker in the post and police are
looking for people who can help identify him.

http://london-underground.blogspot.c...eeking-tube-ph...

Pretty dubious reason for taking pictures though the photographer
sounds like a complete t**t.

It is anyone's right to take photos in a public place...

"Light the blue touch paper and retire"

It's still basically true, though.

Similarly, some people get pleasure from taking pictures in public
places (probably hoping to be the next Cartier-Bresson). I don't see
that it's anyone else's business to approve or disapprove of it.

There are plenty of things that people do for pleasure that are frowned
on in public or when they involve others as unwilling participants.
Photography may sometimes be one of them. That's just how it is.

One problem is that people seem to increasingly think that there are
restrictions on photography that do not in fact exist.

there are so many misconceptions about the laws surrounding
photography that there are regular articles in trade magazines
covering it, that doesn't inform the general public though. I'm often
out around London with a camera around my neck, though if I'm not
immenently taking photos it tends to stay in my bag as everyone gets a
bit wary when someone is waving a camera about.

As for the case in point, the photo of the person appears to be a
blatent photograph of him, I'd consider that to be very inconsiderate
on the part of the photographer, general photos of crowds are fine, if
you want to photograph an individual without seeking their permission
then in practical terms it gets tricky,

merely taking a photograph is never an excuse to get violent with
someone, in this case I suspect the person the police are seeking is
either very ready to violence or has something to hide in both cases
the police ought to be very interested in making his acquaintance, and
while they are at it there seems to be an assault charge to go at.

--
Mark.
www.MarkVarleyPhoto.co.uk