Old February 23rd 08, 03:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default BTP seeking Tube photographer attacker

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 14:05:42 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

"Jeremy Double" wrote in message

It is anyone's right to take photos in a public place...

I may think that it's dangerous to climb precipitous rock faces, and the
treatment of people who fall off is a potential burden on the NHS. I
wouldn't do it myself, but many people get enjoyment from the hobby of
rock climbing, so I wouldn't condemn people for doing it.

Similarly, some people get pleasure from taking pictures in public places
(probably hoping to be the next Cartier-Bresson). I don't see that it's
anyone else's business to approve or disapprove of it.

If you are photographed, you own the copyright to that image unless you
agree otherwise with the photographer.

No you do not.

Therefore the subject was within his
rights to ask for it to be deleted - or sue to have it subsequently removed
from any websites/magazines etc that it might appear in.

No, he was not. Neither was he "within his rights" to punch the
photographer in the face.

Something needs to be done to resolve the utter nonsense that seems all
too prevalent these days concerning photography, "security" and the
perception of rights to privacy in public places.

I strongly dislike being photographed but I would not thump anyone who
did it just because I was walking down the road and happened to get
snapped. Working in Central London near many tourist sites it is
inevitable you'll get snapped some time.

The only time I have been asked to be photographed by a photographer in
the street was in Walthamstow where there was a project to photograph
several thousand people to represent the diverse nature of Waltham
Forest's population. I politely declined the request.
--
Paul C