Old February 23rd 08, 08:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] j.p.harris@talk21.com is offline

Default Oyster PAYG cap with railcard

On 23 Feb, 18:03, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 14:25:10 +0000, Michael wrote:
Hi,

Can someone confirm to me what would happen in the following situation
regarding the new price cap for an Oyster card with a loaded National
Rail railcard:

On one day a person makes four bus journeys and a tube journey between
zones 3 and 4, all of which begin after 9:30am.

Would that be charged at the bus price cap (£3) plus the tube fare (£1),
or would the zone 2-6 off peak (£2.80) Tube cap apply to cover
everything?

I would assume the cheaper fare would apply as it is theoretically a
Travelcard replacement. *I am also assuming that the cap applies when
the discounted rate is met, rather than the normal cap level and the
price then discounted.

But even if the tube cap was not applied, what would then happen if
instead three such tube journeys were made? *At £3 this would reach the
£2.80 cap so the bus journeys would then not be charged separately.

In either situation though, and the reason for my confusion, the fare
for the bus travel is reduced by adding a tube journey (or three). *
Surely that cannot be right? *Granted 20p is not that much to quibble
over for it not to be worth it in practice, but in theory it would mean
you can save money by adding gratuitous tube journeys to your day.

Don't know for certain but I think the logic is like this.

If you undertook four bus journey they'd be £3.60 in total but capped to
£3. *If you then undertook the tube journey as described then if you
also have the Railcard discount activated then the total cap should
reduce to £2.80. *I agree it seems odd if you make the bus trips first
then the bus one day cap will be applied first until such time as
another mode is added that might trigger a different product /
geographic gap.

Your logic in the second example of 3 tube rides and then the bus is
correct from my understanding of how the "lowest cost" capping logic
works.

While I agree it might seem illogical the fact is that you get no
Railcard discount for just bus travel but as soon as you include tube or
rail then a lower cap may be activated (if off peak and outside zone 1).

--
Paul C

Admits to working for London Underground!- Hide quoted text -

Surely the cap applies at £3 and the lower cap does not impact (i.e.
the tube journey doesn't trigger a refund of 20p). So 4 buses and a
tube journey should be more expensive than a tube journey and 4 buses
in the instance mentioned.

In the same way, my understanding is that...

If you travel from Clapham Junction to Watford Junction via Euston off-
peak, you are charged £1.50 for Clapham Junction to Euston LUL gates,
then 50p to travel from Euston to Watford Junction to make up the £2
fare. I have made this journey.

If you travel from Watford Junction to Clapham Junction to Watford
Junction via Euston off-peak, you are charged £3.50 to travel from
Watford Junction to Euston, then nothing for the onward journey. As
far as I understand, you don't get refunded £1.50 for making the extra
journey and the overall cost is £3.50.

Is this right?

Jonathan