Old February 27th 08, 06:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Offramp Offramp is offline

Default Earthquake bicycles

On Feb 27, 2:00 am, Mizter T wrote:
On 27 Feb, 01:05, Paul Weaver wrote:

On Feb 26, 10:43 pm, Tim Woodall wrote:

The barriers at Euston platforms 8-11 cannot cope with the volume of
people trying to get through them.

I've not been stuck as far back as you seem to be -- most of the
trains I get from LBZ to EUS in peak are fast ones, arrive outside of
the locals, or I get off at Harrow (which is hard work), but last time
I took a train (packed 09:40 arriving c.10:10 into Euston, first
offpeak from MKC and north I believe), it took me 5 minutes to get
from the back of the train to the waiting overground ~10:17 departure
for stations north on platform 9.

http://www.woodall.me.uk/img_00000010.jpeg
is a still from my bike camera (sorry the quality isn't very good but
gives some idea, especially if you already know the layout of these
platforms.)

What camera?

Mr Woodall appears to have a nifty video camera attached to his bike.
I don't know whether it is intended for the purpose of capturing
evidence of bad driving, but it certainly has in one particular
instance that Tim relays to the uk.rec.cycling newsgroup (UIVMM the
incident occurs on Pentonville Road travelling east down towards the
Angel) - see the thread here (includes a link to the recording):

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....frm/thread/ee4...

/me just been shaken by an earthquake. In Bedfordshire. Shocking.

But in London I felt nothing! I was however in a car when it was
supposed to have happened, we were a bit perplexed when suddenly at a
quarter past one we started to hear reports of this tremor on the
radio. We may have been a little distracted around the time of the
tremor by an inebriated gentleman who's bus hailing technique was that
of standing in the middle of the road nowhere near a bus stop
gesticulating wildly whilst the bus swerved around him. That said, I
would suggest that in London at least it is fairly easy to drop one's
guard and become distracted from watching/listening/feeling out for an
earthquake. But from now on I'll be on full alert, those pesky tremors
won't catch me unawares!

A distinctly and disappointingly unshaken Mizter T!

I followed the link but I couldn't see anything about an earthquake. I
saw a video of a road, though.