Old March 2nd 08, 10:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default The barriers at Euston platforms 8-11 cannot cope

On 2 Mar, 22:40, (Neil Williams) wrote:
On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 22:28:10 GMT, wrote:
I've been through the gates with a large suitcase, and their hasn't been a
problem in many cases.

On the other hand, I have gone through with a small backpack and it snapped
closed on me.

In a quiet station (where I wouldn't hold anyone up by so doing), I've
been known to do coffee down, wallet out, ticket into barrier, ticket
out of barrier, back into wallet, wallet into pocket, coffee up,
through barrier. I don't know how long they'll stay open for, but
it's surprisingly long (10 seconds plus). Perhaps your rucksack was
too high up to activate the sensor?

Neil

Do they not stay open until they've detected someone (or something at
least) has passed through? I'm sure I've come across gates that are
still open for some reason, walked through them (coz I'm too lazy to
shove my ticket in the slot) and they've then closed behind me - I
hasten to add that I certainly wasn't inadvertently tailgating
someone! (Also, I obviously wouldn't do that if I needed the gates to
validate my Oyster card for PAYG purposes.)