Old March 2nd 08, 11:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default The barriers at Euston platforms 8-11 cannot cope

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, Mr Thant wrote:

On 28 Feb, 13:12, Tom Anderson wrote:

and the Bakerloo only helps you if you're right at the Oxford Circus
end of town (which many people are, of course - but still a minority, i
think).

The Bakerloo serves points that the tubes from Euston don't,

Anywhere south of Oxford Circus is a cross-platform change away from
Euston. Between OC and Paddington, all the Bakerloo stations are a stone's
throw from a Circle station (with the possible exception of Marylebone?),
which can be reached with a short walk from Euston. I don't believe
Bakerloo stations north of Paddington are significant destinations.

and the the change at Queen's Park should be a lot easier, so I think
it'd be fairly attractive for a decent proportion of commuters. It
doesn't matter that you're not serving everywhere, because trains still
continue to Euston.

True. I'm not arguing against a suburban stop for fast trains - i'm all in
favour of that, probably at WJ, for the interchange with orbital lines -
just saying that you shouldn't expect it to relieve Euston much. If such
relief is your goal, you need to address the largest onward flows from
Euston, which are into the City and the central west end.

tom

--
All we need now is Jesus the Lord, fine corn liquor and the courage to
think the unthinkable.