Old March 3rd 08, 07:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

Default Thameslink/FCC ticket validity question again

"Mizter T" wrote in message

I think one problem is that ticket office staff are not always au fait
with the rules themselves - there have been many past tales here and
on uk.railway of people being sold the wrong ticket, including (IIRC
Southern) ticket machines issuing them with the wrong destination
despite the right request being made!

Furthermore even if you have the wrong ticket it might not ever have
got flagged up at the ticket gates - past posts have suggested that
the ticket gates at Kings Cross Thameslink were programmed very
liberally, given the shear variety of ticket types they could feasibly
encounter (an issue that has perhaps been transferred over to St
Pancras Int'l). I'm not going to dig around for it now but I certainly
recall posters reporting that "London Terminals" tickets from points
south were accepted by the gates at KX Thameslink even though they
shouldn't have been.

I had a similar incident not too long ago.

IIRC, I bought a Saver Return ticket to Gatwick from the ticket machine at
KX Thameslink, which listed Gatwick and London Terminals as my destinations.
Going through the gates and getting out to the airport was not a problem,
but the return was another story as the gates would not let me exit back at
KX Thameslink.

One of the attendents then told me that the ticket was not good as the
destination was London Terminals, although he waved me through.

So,

-- Why was I sold that ticket if there was going to be a probelm with my
getting back? Was it actually me who purchased the wrong ticket? If so, then
what ticket should I have purchased?

-- What significance does London Terminals have on tickets? I thought that
such a destination was good anywhere within London.