Old March 4th 08, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default London Overground ticket machines & Oyster

On 4 Mar, 19:26, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 4 Mar, 18:58, Rupert Candy wrote:

I wonder why they can't use a similar system to add Oyster
functionality to the (superficially similar) Tramlink and DLR ticket
machines? It seems a massive oversight. Or perhaps it's just because
London Overground is TfL's toy of the month...

It's worth it for the manufacturers of NR ticket machines to come up
with an Oyster solution, because it'll eventually be needed across the
network. The DLR ticket machines are a fairly unique and quite elderly
design, and I doubt TfL is willing to fund its further development.
Never seen a Tramlink ticket machine.

DLR ticket machines aren't that unique - the Tramlink ones are of the
exact same design!

On this page is a DLR ticket machine (courtesy of TfL's Transport
School!)...
http://preview.tinyurl.com/3ym74z

....and, thanks to the sadly departed Mr Parascandolo, are some photos
of Tramlink ticket machines on his website that has been kept up and
running (scroll down on both pages - the second page shows a shot of
the menu screen, which is much the same as the DLR)...

http://www.tramlink.co.uk/info/gen/tickets.shtml
http://www.croydon-tramlink.co.uk/in...thistory.shtml

(You can buy a 7-day bus pass from the Tramlink machines, which I have
indeed done a couple of times in the past - it comes on standard green
Tramlink ticket stock and it stumped a couple of bus drivers!).

It would be really useful if the DLR machines did do Oyster - I was a
bit stumped the the other day with a friend who needed to top up their
Oyster card before catching the DLR at Shadwell - the nearest place we
could find was on Commercial Road.