Old November 16th 03, 04:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Stimpy Stimpy is offline

Default The UK march agaimst Bush

kedron wrote:
In
Stimpy wrote:

kedron wrote:
But that's just a guess. It's precisely the kind of guess I
suggested you were making. Between poll tax, country alliance, cnd,
anti-war, pensioners, petrol geeks etc etc, I'd say your guess is
wrong.

I'd say you're misjudging your fellow citizens.

What do the rest of you think?

I've been around for 43 years now...

Deepest sympathies.

Much appreciated ;-)

and know no-one who has ever been on any
kind of mass demonstration. Most people I know really don't care
*that* much about the sort of things that demonstrations tend to
cover -

So WHO are all these people who demonstrate?

How can you account for all those examples I provided above?

I don't know and don't really care. You asked what 'the rest' of us think
and I replied. I can't really see the point in getting into an argument
about someone else views. I was only trying to be polite by answering your
question.

I bet you if you asked around your friends, you might be surprised.

Oddly enough, I was with 5 other friends last night and we discussed this
very subject, apropos the Bush visit and the ongoing hunting ban debate.
None of them had ever been on a demontrstation or would even consider it.
Other friends I have known since school and/or university would also fall
into that category.

they, like
me, are just getting on with their own lives and doing the best they
can to create a secure future for their families.

You think demonstrators don't do that as well?

Where did I say I thought that?

Sure there are things I might feel are wrong or with which I might
disagree (in my case this would, for example, include the recent
war, the Bush visit and the fox hunting ban) but I certainly
wouldn't go on a demonstration about them - I have better things to
do with my time

And I'm not denying that there are many people like you who don't
care enough about anything to want to do something about it.
Nor am I saying I agree with every demonstrator. But I do agree with
their right to demonstrate, and I believe far more people are
exercising that right than you suppose. I also believe that they can
make a difference. Like the one that's going to happen this week.

I agree. I don't recall stating I disagreed with the right to demonstrate.
I was merely posting that *I* didn't know anyone who would ever attend such
an event. Methinks you doth protest too much!

And people who don't care enough shouldn't complain should their smug
existences ever get tossed upside down -- because it will have
happened
in THEIR names.

Ah-ha... so just because I don't have the time or inclination to
demonstrate, that makes me smug does it?