Old March 7th 08, 09:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Lew 1 Lew 1 is offline

Default Thameslink/FCC ticket validity question again

IME there were a couple of occasions when my London Thameslink ticket
failed to work the gates, but now all is hunky dory. Whenever possible
I try to get a London Thameslink ticket because of its additional
flexibility in Central London (when compared with destination-specific
tickets that have the same route validity).

For a while, I thought that "London Thameslink" as a destination was always
rejected by the new Blackfriars gates, however since then I have found that
every ticket I try to use - be it a Travelcard or to another destination
requiring an Underground change in London - is rejected.

I am now certain that the gates there are set up to reject any ticket bought
with a Young Persons Railcard, as when I go through the manual gate, the
staff always want to see my photocard and not even on-board staff ever ask
to see that! (I keep it hidden unless requested, because I absolutely hate
the photograph on it)

Assuming I am right (and I think I am, as I have seen tickets bought at the
same machine at the same time but without the railcard discount get through
first time), is this the only gate set-up in London that requires Railcard
holders to use the manual gate?

LEWIS