Old March 13th 08, 03:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Northern Line near collision

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, MIG wrote:

On 13 Mar, 12:46, "John Rowland"
wrote:
MIG wrote:
On 12 Mar, 20:44, wrote:

However, I feel that an obvious suggestion has been overlooked. Why
not paint the end walls of platform tunnels a distinctive colour to
indicate the normal direction of travel - or perhaps to mark ends
from which movements are not normally carried out? The driver would
have clocked he was heading the wrong way down the platform straight
away.

Yeah, I thought that. *At a cost of a pot of paint and a few hours'
work per line. *Could just be a coloured square or something.

A red disc with a white cross bar is more traditional.

Two pots of paint then.

Or you write on the floor by the cab door 'NORTH' or 'SOUTH' as
appropriate. or 'HIGH BARNET' or 'MORDEN', whichever you like.

My idea was to mark the insides of tunnels in such a way that it's obvious
when you're running the wrong way, even if just for the first hundred
metres after a platform. A load of cat's eyes on the walls, which you'd
only see when going the wrong way, would do it. Or an equivalent of the
'no entry' sign that was on the tunnel wall, but not seen, that can be
seen in peripheral vision - maybe painting the 50 metres of tunnel at the
wrong end of the platform bright orange?

tom

--
The Web isn't hypertext, it's DECORATED DIRECTORIES! -- Ted Nelson