Old March 13th 08, 06:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Battersea Bridge Road

On 12 Mar, 12:33, Edward Cowling London UK
wrote:

In message
,
Mizter T writes

passing bus). The journey on the 344 from Vauxhall will take less than
15 minutes off-peak, and the service runs frequently.

Battersea really isn't that hard to get to!

It's the haven of the cheap office crowd. Courier companies and
Telesales, and all because it's transport blighted. Put a decent tube
link in and the area would blossom. In the ends it took me 2 hours to
get from Palmers Green to Battersea Bridge. I may have been unlucky,
but no one is going to do that twice a day out of choice.

In the nicest way possible I really think your comments demonstrate
that you don't have a remotely accurate view on the totality of
Battersea.

First off I really think you took the wrong route. Victoria line all
the way to Vauxhall and then on from there by either bus or train
would have been far quicker options, closer to one hour than two. I
note your comments downthread about the Victoria line, but on the
whole I do find that it works well and is a very speedy way to nip
across town.

Others have pointed out the average house price in Battersea.
Battersea is a large area, stretching from Clapham Junction to
Battersea Park. Like many other areas of London there is a
tessellation of grand houses and council estates. Just off Battersea
Bridge Road is the distinctly grotty Ethelburga estate, whilst next to
the river is the offices of Foster and Partners, the architects
practice. Meanwhile the roads south of Battersea Park (such as Prince
of Wales Drive) are very plush, whilst south of Battersea Park Road,
sandwiched between that and the railway line is the rather grim
Doddington Estate.

I think the cheap office crowd you refer to is actually up on Nine
Elms Lane, the main road that leads from Battersea into Vauxhall, and
it's not just cheap offices but is also host to Royal Mail's South
London mail centre, a DHL delivery centre, a waste handling station,
and the government car service. Much of the area - south of Nine Elms
Lane at least - used to be extensive railway yards. Since their demise
some of this land was used for the location of the New Covent Garden
Market.

Again this are along Nine Elms Lane cannot be described as transport
blighted - Vauxhall station is at the north east end, whilst at the
south west there are two stations - Battersea Park (on the line into
Victoria) and Queenstown Road Battersea (on the line into Waterloo),
both of which enjoy very regular services. And there's a regular bus
service that runs up and down it.