Old March 16th 08, 11:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Ken Ken is offline

Default Jumping the single track at Finsbury Park

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 16:43:48 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

At Barking District line trains open their doors to platforms on both
sides - my memory is failing me here but I think this is for eastbound
trains only (ICBW).

This is correct. WB District line trains stop on one side of the Up
island platform allowing cross-platform interchange with Up c2c
services. On the other side of the WB District line is the Down Grays
via Rainham line, then the island platform, then the Up Grays line.
(not sure of correct nomenclature but YKWIM).

I can't picture the platform layout accurately so
I can't work out whether the opportunity to use a District line train
as a literal makeshift bridge would be of benefit to any passengers in
a rush.

Only if you got off a terminating GOBLIN service in p.1 and wanted a
Shoebury/Southend-bound c2c service from p.4. You could indeed then
use a District train as a bridge. I suppose you could also do this in
reverse, i.e. going from, say, West Ham to Walthamstow QR via Barking,
but this seems less likely.

--
Ken