Old March 17th 08, 07:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Rusty Rusty is offline

Default Jumping the single track at Finsbury Park

On 16 Mar, 21:08, "Peter Masson" wrote:
"Mr Thant" wrote in message

... Changing trains at Finsbury Park the other day, I needed to get from
one northbound island to the other, which are separated by only a
single track. For more than one moment I looked at it and thought "I
could jump that"*. The platforms are plenty wide enough to get a good
run up. So:

i) Would this be trespassing on a railway?
ii) Has anyone done this or seen it done?

Years ago the loop platforms at Sevenoaks had platforms both sides, and were
used to terminate suburban trains. Fast trains to and from the Coast used
the through lines in teh centre. So passengers used to go through the
suburban trains instead of crossing by the bridge. But even if a convenient
train stopped in the middle track at Finsbury Park, I don't suppose the
doors are opened both sides so that you can get through it.

Peter

Tony Hancock did it many years ago in the film The Rebel.
But then, you could open the doors yourself.
He got across two tracks, train in each one.
(Sorry, couldn't find a film clip but I bet it's out there somewhere.)