Old March 17th 08, 04:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
furnessvale furnessvale is offline

Default Jumping the single track at Finsbury Park

On 17 Mar, 16:41, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
09:31:41 on Mon, 17 Mar 2008, furnessvale
remarked:

Narrow locks are about 7ft 3ins wide at the bottom (my boat was 7ft
0.5ins wide. �Some boats have spread to 7ft 2ins and still get through
most locks). �When you allow for the batter up to the top they come
out at about 8ft on average.

Having scraped down both sides of some locks in a 6ft 10inch boat, I
suspect we'll have to agree that they vary quite a bit.

I went through most narrow locks with my boat ( and others have
certainly taken her through any I missed). I only stuck once on width
and that was top Marston Doles which was reknown for hanging up
working boats. However I have had trouble on numerous occasions on
length.

George