Old March 20th 08, 10:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default StP retail fit-out - still a work in progress

On Mar 19, 9:49*pm, wrote:
Have they fixed the heating problem yet? Last time I had a look around
the shops there they had no heating at all - the only place where it
seemed *to work was in the Eurostar ticket office. Some shops had
signs blaming a general problem across the station.

I have to say I'm very disappointed that the shops, restaurants and
market are taking so long to complete. I was also very disappointed
with the lack of facilities once you've gone through security in the
Eurostar terminal itself. I seem to remember there was one tiny cafe
and one tiny WH Smith (with an enormous queue).

Still a gorgeous station though and fantastic to have such quick
trains to Europe.

When I was being shown around the site a few years ago, with a party
of interested locals, the guides were clearly disappointed that the
only reaction they were getting to their descriptions of grand retail
facilities was a muted "so I won't be able to afford to live around
here any more".

It's typical of a development which is designed to exclude, rather
than provide for the needs of, the local community.

They need grocery shops, post offices, libraries etc etc etc, not
overpriced sandwich bars and tie shops.

Travellers, in the meantime, need quick and easy interchanges to help
them get to where they are really going, and places to sit while they
are waiting. Reports suggest that they haven't exactly got these
things.