Old November 17th 03, 10:38 AM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Frank X Frank X is offline

Default The effects of a road congestion tax

"Nick H (UK)" wrote in message
Indeed one may so argue!. Road tax: £10 a month before I even go
anywhere. Fuel tax a lot more. And then there is however much of my
Council Tax my local authority spends on making the roads less
car-friendly. Crude it may be, but a hefty charge on road usage it is.
Free? Absolutely no way.

Of course, if these existing taxes taxes were scrapped, and road usage
was then charged by usage... But then fuel tax does that anyway.

Yep, fuel tax is pretty sensible as it does tax usage, however it doesn't
charge for using congested roads at times of congestion. Hence someone
driving down a country road is charged the same as someone trying to use a
city road in the rush hour. Surely you can see the benefit of taxing the
rush hour traffic more? Particualarly if it makes the traffic move more
freely.

I also think people should distinguish between Labour raising additional
taxes (extra tax burden) and a government trying to redistribute how those
taxes are raised.

I mean is it fairer to tax someone extra for working hard and contributing
to the economy as opposed to taxing someone for using up a limited valuable
public resource?

It always amazes me how the public are willing to stomach taxes like income
tax and NI, but go mental at the things they actually have to pay like Poll
Tax, Fuel Tax and Congestion charging.

--
Nick H (UK)