Old March 22nd 08, 02:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default East Putney station

On 22 Mar, 10:55, "Paul Scott" wrote:

wrote in message

Does that part of LUL have AWS (I don't recall seeing it when I was down
there.)? If not, then whar sort of safety back up are SWT trains using on
that segment, lower speeds? AFAIK, SWT trains are not equipped with
tripcocks.

At the risk of restarting an old thread, although there are tripcocks for LU
trains, the line is still signalled and owned by Network Rail, so I believe
that's why mainline trains don't need tripcocks.

Wrong. The line is owned by LUL. It used to be owned by British Rail
but on rail privatisation ownership passed to LUL. East Putney to
Wilbledon is still signalled by Network Rail under a contract with
LUL, and I believe Network Rail also handles the power supply. I
understand that maintenance on the line is carried out by the SSL
infraco, Metronet.

However I don't know which signalling rules apply down that line (i.e.
LUL or Network Rail).

Having signalling handled by Network Rail does suggest that some
element of co-ordination is possible in handling the District line
service as well as the diverted SWT trains.

Its possible there isn't AWS - perhaps that explains the 30 mph limit?

Absolutely no idea on that issue.