Old March 22nd 08, 03:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default East Putney station

On Mar 22, 4:00*pm, "Richard J." wrote:
wrote:

Does that part of LUL have AWS (I don't recall seeing it when I was
down there.)? If not, then whar sort of safety back up are SWT trains
using on that segment, lower speeds? AFAIK, SWT trains are not
equipped with tripcocks.

The answer is that the line is fitted with TPWS as well as the LUL trainstop
system. *At each signal, there is a TPWS loop and a trainstop. *The reason
for the 30 mph limit for National Rail trains is because of "power supply
difficulties". *The voltage is 650V to accommodate the LU trains, rather
than the usual 750V for SWT.

Which makes me wonder, is it only 455s that have been using that
route? Could it cope with the power requirements of 450s? I've only
ever seen 455s going that way (daytime empty movements and past
engineering work; not been around for the early/late runs).